Sunday, December 6, 2015

Model for a Day

Yesterday I had one of the most wonderful photographic experiences since I've come to London. And this time was a little different, as I'm usually behind the camera. This time, I was in front of it.

My roommate Julia received an offer from a new salon/photography studio called GK London to spend a day with a friend, getting a makeover, a manicure, and having a full-length photoshoot with all the pros.

And to my shock and excitement, Julia asked me to join her. I'm so very glad she did.

We prepared for the photoshoot that morning by showering and leaving our faces a blank canvas - no makeup just yet! Our closets were rummaged through as we tried to find at least four outfit changes - another requirement.

I had to dash out the door without getting anything to eat, because we were running slightly late, and even though GK wasn't far away, the tube can be a little unpredictable nowadays.

Getting ready. 


Our freshly-washed hair whipping in the wind, we arrived, and were offered tea on the spot. Because this is England, and we love our tea. The host, Christine, was a sweet Albanian in her late twenties, and she could make a mean cuppa.

GK London was running behind, so we had to wait a bit before our pampering began. In the meantime, we looked through a photo book, GK has a great portfolio, and drank some apple juice after the tea (that was me). Julia went first, and picked out a lovely burgundy for her nails. The Romanian stylist fixed her straight hair flowing waves and the Italian makeup artist worked her magic. I've always loved meeting people from all over the world, and this time was no different.

Julia, stunning already, finished her pampering looking like an absolute goddess.

She not only has a pretty face, but this smart lawyer-to-be is queen of the courtroom. 

Before I knew it, it was my turn. I got a scolding from the manicurist for picking at my nails; I had picked them down to the quick out of stress, but she graciously gave me a hand massage and painted my stubby little nails a beautiful taupe.

My hair and makeup were done at the same time so Julia wouldn't have to wait so long. By the time they had finished taming my thick, wavy tresses into curls (she agreed with me when I told her that I had enough hair for five people) and painting my face in makeup, I couldn't recognize myself anymore.

Guys, I usually never talk about myself in this manner, but I looked good.

Everyone said this could be my album cover. Buy my mixtape. 
I have a lot of hair. 

The photoshoot itself was a ton of fun. Our photographer kept things light and hilarious, even though English wasn't his first language. One of his favorite phrases was, "Don't you dare to move."

However, a few minutes, a cup of tea (Julia) and a glass of wine (me) later, our pictures were ours...for a price. And a high price it was too. Yikes. I could just hear my wallet begging me not to buy anything.


We got one picture each for free, then, because I paid both Julia and my deposit on the photoshoot, I got a second picture for free! She, purchased two, along with her free one.

It was a long, exhausting, but an overall great experience. GK London was an absolute joy to work with, and I highly recommend them for any styling and pro photoshoot needs.

BEFORE
AFTER



No comments:

Post a Comment